Key points to keep in mind when dealing with people in business:
- Be particularly careful if you are approached by someone, rather than you being recommended to the person by someone you trust.
- Doing business in an overseas country makes you vulnerable to fraudsters and scammers.
- If it sounds too good to be true it probably is!
- Ask to be taken around the business, and meet the staff. Be on alert if you only ever deal with one person in “the company” – maybe that’s all there is!
- Keep asking questions and checking the facts.
- Something as simple as an email address that does not work could be a clue that you are dealing with a fraudster
Always seek the advice of an expert Forensic Accountant. An expert Forensic Accountant can help you assess the situation and even recover money that you have invested.